Spooky Season at the Library
It's that time of year when things start getting spooky at the library! Whether you prefer just a little bit of fear, full-fledged fright, or something in-between, the library is offering a variety of children’s and teen programs to help get you in the spooky spirit. We hope you’ll join us for stories, performances, writing, history, crafts, and more! Read on for details about this month’s spine-tingling fun.
Spooky Storyline is back! In addition to our regular weekly stories, we’ll have two additional lines set up for the month of October. Little listeners can enjoy not-too-spooky tales, while those seeking a bigger chill can tune in to our scarier line! Dial 804-501-1946 to join the fun.
- We are telling some of our favorite scary stories for kids. We will start with tales that are not too spooky and will slowly progress to ones that are more scary. Families are welcome to leave at any time. How long will you last?
- Tuesday, October 24, 6:30-7:30PM at Varina
- Wednesday, October 25, 3-4PM at Fairfield
- Thursday, October 26, 3:30-4:30PM at Tuckahoe
- Monday, October 30: 4-5PM at Libbie Mill, 7-8PM at Twin Hickory
- Celebrate spooky season with professional acting troupe Bright Star Theatre's presentation of FrankenSTEM. Dr. Frank N. Stein is one of the world’s most famous scientists and, along with his trusty assistant Igor, has created some of the world’s most amazing inventions. But those inventions would be nothing without YOUR imagination. It will take Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math to make his latest masterpiece come to life!
Other spooky children’s programs include:
- Spooky Puppets
- Not So Scary Monsters Movie
- Mini Pumpkin Catapults
- Elementary Art Club: Spooky Creatures
- Costume Swap
- Halloween Magic
- Create Your Own Pumpkin Person
- Halloween Fair
- Celebrate a Series: Goosebumps
- Toddler Art: Fancy Halloween Monsters
- Pre-K Costume Dance Party
- Saturday Screenings: The Addams Family
- Spooky Stories
Two-Sentence Horror Story Contest
- October 1 – 20,* in Teen spaces at all library locations
- Write the scariest story you can – with only two sentences! Visit the Teen space at your library and write your story on an entry slip. Your original story must be exactly two sentences long and under 200 words. Submissions will be accepted in person only until Friday, October 20.* Entries will be judged by Beth Brown & Phil Ford, co-editors of the book Richmond Macabre: Nightmares from the River City. Winners will be announced on Halloween—Tuesday, October 31— and winning entries will be displayed in library teen spaces and on social media. Participants must be in grades 6-12.
- 1st Prize: $50 Barnes & Noble Gift Card
- 2nd & 3rd Prizes: $25 Barnes & Noble Gift Cards
*Miss the deadline? You can drop off your entry at one of our Short and Scary Writing Workshops, October 23, 24, 25, and 26.
- Wednesday, October 11, 6:30-7:30PM at Tuckahoe
- From legends of an innkeeper's spirits and lost treasure in Tuckahoe to the west, to tales of a haunted highway in Varina in the east, Henrico County is host to many ghostly stories. Join Haunts of Richmond as they emerge from the shadows of the city's center to share some haunting tales of Henrico County's past to help celebrate the spooky season.
- Learn the basics of writing a short story. Afterward, you'll have time to pen your own tale (scary or otherwise). Books on writing will be available for checkout to further inspire you.
- Tuesday, October 17, 6-7:30PM at Twin Hickory
- Monday, October 23, 6-7:30PM at Tuckahoe
- Tuesday, October 24, 6-7:30PM at Libbie Mill
- Wednesday, October 25, 6-7:30PM at Varina
- Thursday, October 26, 6-7:30PM at Fairfield
- Wednesday, October 18, 6:30-8PM at Varina
- Learn all about the paranormal from the Commonwealth Researchers of the Paranormal investigation team. The team will share stories about working at local historical sites, discuss and demonstrate their process, and invite questions and answers afterward.
In addition to these, teens can participate in several other fright-filled programs. Join us if you dare…
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.