September 15 marks the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month! To celebrate, the Library will be offering several programs. Join us for speakers, performances, film screenings, book discussions, and more as we celebrate Latinx history and culture! Read on to learn more about upcoming programs and recommended titles from our Collection.
- Yarn Painting
- Sat. Sep. 17, 2-4 PM, Fairfield Library
- With this Huichol-inspired yarn painting activity, you can create your very own vibrant, textured piece of art using yarn and glue. All of the supplies will be provided.
- Family Maker Lab: Hispanic Heritage
- Sat. Sep. 17, 2-4 PM, Libbie Mill Library
- Stop by the Digital Media Lab anytime during the program to explore a fun activity and learn about some cool technology with your family. This month, we'll be doing some activities in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month. Please note: This event is drop-in and we may need to limit the number of participants in the Digital Media Lab at any given time.
- Latin Ballet of Virginia Presents: Spanish Influences on Latin Dance
- Sat. Sep. 24, 11 AM – 12 PM, Glen Allen Library
- Sat. Sep. 24, 2-3 PM, Twin Hickory Library
- Dance and music are incorporated in this interactive master class which introduces historical and cultural information about Spanish influences on the development of Latin dance. Sponsored by the Friends of the Henrico County Public Library.
- Cook and Book: Quick & Easy Tacos
- Mon. Sep. 26, 7-8:30 PM, Varina Area Library
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with a sampling of tacos. Join Cristina Ramirez, of Varina Area Library, in learning about a few quick and easy taco recipes, how to prepare a variety of toppings, and create your own taco bar at home.
- Teen Art Studio: Latinx Art
- Tue. Sep. 27, 6-8 PM, Varina Area Library
- We are celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month with some fun, hands-on cultural activities! We’ll discuss different styles of art from Latin cultures and do a variety of art projects. All artistic skill levels are welcome!
- Bingo en Español
- Wed. Oct. 5, 6-7 PM, Twin Hickory Library
- Meet us at Twin Hickory Library if you are a beginning or intermediate level Spanish-speaker. Test your basic Spanish vocabulary skills in this fun, friendly, and noncompetitive game of Spanish language Bingo for adults. Participate for a chance to win a prize.
- Entre Puerto Rico y Richmond: Women in Resistance Shall Not Be Moved, Film Screening and Panel Discussion
- Thu. Oct. 6, 7-8:30 PM, Libbie Mill Library
- View and discuss the award-winning dance film honoring Black female tobacco workers in Richmond and Puerto Rican anti-colonial activists Dominga de La Cruz Becernil and Luisa Capetillo. A panel discussion with co-creators Alicia Díaz (director), Patricia Herrera (dramaturg), and Christine Wyatt (dance artist and cultural organizer) will include live music from the film soundtrack by members of Kadencia. There will be a brief artists' reception at the start of the program. Sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
- Hispanic Heritage Film Festival
- Libbie Mill Library
- Mon., Sep. 19, 2:00-5:00 PM: Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse (2018, PG, 117 min.)
- Wed., Sep. 21, 2:00-5:00 PM: Tortilla Soup (2001, PG-13, 103 min.)
- Thu., Sep. 29, 6:30-8:30 PM: The Infiltrators (2020, NR, 95 min.)
- Wed., Oct. 5, 2:00-5:00 PM: Love in the Time of Cholera (2007, R, 139 min.)
- Wed., Oct. 12, 6:30-8:30 PM: Biutiful (2009, R, 148 min.)
- Thu., Oct. 13, 6:30-8:30 PM: Amores Perros (2000, R, 148 mins)
FROM THE COLLECTION
EASY (Picture Books)