Expectations for Caregivers and Children
Help everybody get the most out of storytime by following these guidelines!
Come EarlySpace is limited due to room capacity. Show up early to make sure you find a spot. We are unable to accommodate group visits at storytimes. Please call your library to arrange something special for your group.
Join InWe encourage caregivers to sing, clap, and play along! Young children learn by doing, and you are your child's best role model.
Model Good ListeningSit close to your child, turn off cell phones and wait until storytime is over to chat with other parents.
Health and Safety FirstIf the room is full, please park strollers outside. Leave toys and snacks outside the story room. Constant coughing and runny noses mean it's time to stay home. If your child is having a hard time, being aggressive or disruptive, please feel free to take a break and come back when everybody is ready.
When storytime is on break you can continue to enrich your child's life in literature with some of these free resources.
At the Library
- You are always welcome to keep your library routine by visiting the library. You can present your own storytime by reading with your children at the library or check out materials to take home and share. While visiting you and your children can play with materials in our early literacy centers.
- ABCMouse.com - With 3,500+ interactive books, educational games, puzzles and other learning activities, ABCMouse.com's award-winning online curriculum is free for use at our library locations for young learners (ages 2-6+). From Age of Learning, Inc.
- Check out one of our Read-To-Me Kits. These preschool "discovery packs" contain a theme in an easy to carry book bag. There are many themes to choose from, including seasons, holidays, trains and concepts such as alphabet, counting, colors and shapes. Each bag contains a mix of books, simple toys and DVDs that focus on the bag's theme. They are available at many libraries and can be placed on hold.
- VA Lit Day by Day provides early literacy activities for every day. You will find topic-specific songs, app recommendations, stories and suggestions of simple activities to reinforce the day’s concept.
- Our Librarians have reviewed lots of fun educational apps.
- Check our events calendar for special activities likes crafts and Family Fun!