Placing a Hold
How do I place a book on hold?Place a hold on a book or other library materials online in the catalog.
- Search for an item.
- From the Search Results page, find the item that you'd like to place on hold.
- Click on the Place Hold button to the right of the title. If this button is not there, click the title of the item.
- Enter your 14-digit library card number (typed without spaces between numbers) and PIN (Personal Identification Number). NOTE: You will have to do this step for the first item.
- Choose the location under
Pickup Libraryto select the library at which you would like to pick up your hold.
- Fairfield, Libbie Mill, Tuckahoe, Twin Hickory, and Varina have drive-up windows open during normal library hours for hold pick up. Designate Drive-up as the pickup location when placing the hold.
- Click on the Place Hold button.
Is there a limit on the number of holds I can place through the catalog?
Yes. You may have up to 10 holds placed on titles in the catalog and/or showing available and ready for pickup. You can view your holds through Review My Account found under My Account.
How will I know when the hold is available for pickup?You will be notified by email or phone when the item is ready for pickup. Your item will be held for three Library business days. Call your library if you cannot make it within three days. You can see the status of your holds when you log in to the HCPL Catalog under My Account and choose Review My Account. Information about your holds shows under the Holds tab.
What if I want to borrow something that the library does not own?