Learning the ABC's
Letter knowledge means knowing all of the letters, their names and sounds, and recognizing them. Here are some tips for helping your preschool child learn about the letters of the alphabet.
What you can do now-
- Read alphabet books with clearly formed letters and pictures, including the lower case letters.
- Point out letters on toys, food, and other objects around the house and on outings.
- Play a game by selecting one letter and thinking of words that all begin with that letter sound.
- Invest in some large foam letters or an alphabet puzzle to play with.
- Sing the alphabet song.
- Make sure your child knows the letters in his or her name.