Job Hunting and Career Resources at the Library
The library offers resources that can help you find a job, like our trained staff, public computers, and books on interviews, resumes, and cover letters. If you need in-depth help to get information for your job search, call your local library in advance of your visit.
Job Listings Sites
Library Business Resources
Henrico County Public Library provides many valuable resources for business owners, operators, and entrepreneurs. From market research databases and free WiFi, to meeting space and professional-grade technology, the library offers free tools to support your business.
Job Skills Resources
Learning Express Library
Math, reading, and writing tutorials, online prep for occupational exams, GED®, ACT®, SAT, AP and more.
Computer Classes at HCPL
Free classes in basic computer skills, Microsoft Word, Excel, and other Office apps.
Virginia Career Works Capital Region
A federally funded organization that provides workforce services to employers, youth, adults, and dislocated workers. Free.
Peterson's Career Prep
The Peterson's Career Prep tools help you get a handle on what careers interest you, the skills and training you'll need, and what you can expect from your career path. Discover which careers suit you best, research potential career options, and explore the requirements and outlooks for the occupations that interest you.
Helpful Local Agencies
- Virginia Employment Commission: information on unemployment benefits, including a handbook for claimants and job seekers, answers to commonly asked questions, and relevant statutes, regulations, and case law.
- Virginia Career Works Capital Region: A federally funded organization that provides workforce services to employers, youth, adults, and dislocated workers. Free.
- Henrico County Social Services
- Starting, Relocating, or Expanding Your Business in Richmond, VA
Job Search Basics
Today, most job searching and applications are done online. We recommend you do these things before getting started with your search:
- Create an email address.
- Prepare your resume.
- If you don't have your resume as an electronic document, you can create one. Click here to download a basic Word resume template, created by HCPL librarians, to get started.
- Having trouble? Ask at your library's Information Desk for help with setting up your resume. Direct help may be available as time permits.
- Save your resume.
- In addition to your finished Word file, save a copy of your resume as a plain text file. This can open on any computer, and will allow you to easily copy and paste your resume text into online application forms.
- Keep your resume handy.
- Make sure you can easily access your resume when needed. It is recommended that you save your resume to a USB drive or to the cloud.
Books on Careers and Job Hunting
Search the Library's Catalog
- Visit www.henricolibrary.org/catalog
- Select Subject from the drop-down box of search options. Enter search terms such as: Career Changes, Career Development, Cover Letters, Employment Interviewing, Job Hunting, Professions, Resumes, Vocational Guidance,andOccupations.
- Also, try more specific terms relating to your occupation of interest. For example, if you are interested in nursing, try a subject search using the terms Vocational Guidance Nursing.
Browse the Shelves
Below are shelf locations where job-hunting materials can be found:
Resumes, cover letters, and interviewing
80% of all job opportunities are found though networking.
- Career Prospectors
Three Chopt Presbyterian Church
9315 Three Chopt Road
Richmond, VA 23229
- Jobs Assistance Ministry
St. Michael Catholic Church
4491 Springfield Road
Glen Allen, VA 23060
- Needle's Eye Ministries, Inc, Career Transition Group
104 Berrington Court
Richmond, VA 23221
- Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce www.grcc.com
- Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce www.vahcc.com
- BNI, Business Network International www.bniva.com
- LinkedIn www.linkedIn.comLinkedIn is a business-oriented social networking site. No cost for basic membership. Search for groups of interest.
Ayuda de búsqueda trabajo para hispanohablantes
(Job search help for Spanish-speakers)
- Yahoo! en Español: Correo: Correo electrónico gratis de Yahoo.
- Free Yahoo! mail in Spanish.
- En la biblioteca, busque libros debajo el número de clasificación 650.14.
- In the library, look for books under the call number 650.14.