Tax Preparation Assistance
VITA Tax Assistance Program (formerly MetroCASH)
All appointments for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites at Fairfield and Libbie Mill Libraries are filled. Information on other tax filing options can be found at: www.yourunitedway.org/tax/vita or irs.gov.
United Way of Greater Richmond and Petersburg is also offering a remote virtual tax assistance service that utilizes a new secure web portal that allows participants to upload tax information, speak to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) certified tax preparers and receive help filing taxes online – all for free. Those using the service will need to upload photos of their Identification (ID) cards and tax documents and answer questions about their tax situation. The service requires filers to have access to the internet and a camera through a smart phone, tablet or computer. The income limit for this service is also $56,000.
Visit www.yourunitedway.org/tax/vita/virtual-vita/ for more information on how to access this service.
Forms and booklets are available via curbside service. Call your Henrico County Public Library to request a copy.
Make sure you know what to have handy.
This program is offered through United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
What do I need to have handy?
Personal Information (bring all documents)
- Valid photo ID, like a driver's license or state identification card
- Taxpayer Identification Number: Your social security card (not a copy), Social Security Number verification letter, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Taxpayer Identification Numbers for your spouse and dependents if applicable
- Birth dates for yourself, your spouse and your dependents
Proof of Income (bring all documents)
- W-2s for all jobs in 2020
- 1099s for any other income received in 2020
- Statements for prizes, scholarships/fellowships or lottery/gambling winnings
Proof of Health Insurance (bring all documents)
- 1095-A if you had coverage through HealthCare.gov (Obamacare)
- 1095-B or 1095-C if you had other kinds of insurance or coverage
Additional Items (bring all documents that apply)
- Routing numbers and bank account numbers for direct deposit of your refund
- Tax Return from last year, if available
- Child Care Expenses: Provider's address and federal tax ID number
- Homeowners: Mortgage statements and property tax bills
- Education: College tuition and student loan statements
- Alimony: Paid or received
- Notices: IRS, state tax, health insurance marketplace or anything that says, "IMPORTANT TAX DOCUMENT"
Please have all documents ready at the time of your appointment. For questions or more information please visit the United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg website.
Tax Aide Program
Tax-aide is a free tax service provided by the IRS and administered by AARP. All volunteer tax preparers are certified by passing an IRS exam. This program is open to all ages and taxpayers are not required to be AARP members.
- Appointment only.
- All returns are e-filed.
- Be sure to bring last year's returns and all your tax forms for the current year.
- For more information, visit www.aarp.org/taxaide or call the site locator at 1-888-227-7669 1-888-227-7669.
Twin Hickory Recreation Center
5011 Twin Hickory Road
Glen Allen, VA 23059
(804) 829-3338 (804) 829-3338
NO RETURNS STARTED AFTER 3:00 pm on weekdays.
Closed Monday, Feb 15th
SATURDAYS - start Feb 6th. Returns ONLY for first ten (10) clients.
All returns (federal & VA state) are e-filed. BRING LAST YEAR'S RETURN.
Due to the overwhelming response, new appointment requests will begin on February 24, 2021. A limited number of spots will be available. All in-person tax help through AARP is by appointment only.
Internal Revenue Service
Individual and business taxpayers will no longer receive paper income tax packages in the mail from the IRS. Some key 1040 forms are available at libraries while supplies last, but due to budget cuts at the IRS printed instructions for tax forms will not be available at libraries this year. You can visit IRS.gov to get tax form instructions and other forms or request tax products be mailed to you. You may also find Coronavirus related tax information on the IRS website.
Virginia Department of Taxation
Note: The Virginia Department of Taxation will no longer supply libraries with paper copies of Virginia tax forms. You may download forms and instructions from visiting www.tax.virginia.gov. Or you may contact your local Commissioner of the Revenue, Director of Finance or Director of Tax Administration. You can request forms and instructions from the Forms Department by calling (804) 367-8031. You may also wish to try paperless filing, using Free File/E-File. The standard fee of 10¢ per page for printing from the public computers will apply to tax forms at all Henrico County Public libraries.
Henrico County Department of Finance
Federation of Tax Administrators
The Real Estate Advantage (REAP)
Tax exemption for qualified seniors, residents that are 100 percent permanently and totally disabled, and their spouses which relieves real estate tax up to a maximum of $3,000.
Health Coverage and Your Federal Income Taxes
How health coverage affects your federal income tax return