Tax Preparation Assistance
Tax Assistance Program (formerly MetroCASH)
If your household income is $56,000 or less, you are eligible for free income tax preparation through a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site. Make sure you know what to bring.
- Tax assistance is offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- There are limited library locations and dates offered.
Library locations offering United Way VITA:
Libbie Mill Library
2100 Libbie Lake East St., Henrico, VA 23230
Fairfield Area Library
1401 N. Laburnum Ave., Henrico, VA 23223
February 1 - March 14, 2020
Saturdays: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Closed when Henrico Libraries are closed due to weather.
This program is offered through United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
What do I bring?
Personal Information (bring all documents)
- Valid photo ID, like a driver's license or state identification card
- Taxpayer Identification Number: Your social security card (not a copy), Social Security Number verification letter, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Taxpayer Identification Numbers for your spouse and dependents if applicable
- Birth dates for yourself, your spouse and your dependents
Proof of Income (bring all documents that apply)
- W-2s for all jobs in 2019
- 1099s for any other income received in 2019
- Statements for prizes, scholarships/fellowships or lottery/gambling winnings
Proof of Health Insurance (bring all documents that apply)
- 1095-A if you had coverage through HealthCare.gov (Obamacare)
- 1095-B or 1095-C if you had other kinds of insurance or coverage
Additional Items (bring all documents that apply)
- Routing numbers and bank account numbers for direct deposit of your refund
- Tax Return from last year, if available
- Child Care Expenses: Provider's address and federal tax ID number
- Homeowners: Mortgage statements and property tax bills
- Education: College tuition and student loan statements
- Alimony: Paid or received
- Notices: IRS, state tax, health insurance marketplace or anything that says, "IMPORTANT TAX DOCUMENT"
Please have all documents ready at the time of your visit. For questions or more information please visit the United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg website.
Tax Aide Program
Tax-aide is a free tax service provided by the IRS and administered by AARP. All volunteer tax preparers are certified by passing an IRS exam. This program is open to all ages and taxpayers are not required to be AARP members.
- No appointments required or accepted—first come, first served basis only.
- All returns are e-filed.
- Be sure to bring last year's returns and all your tax forms for the current year.
- For more information, visit www.aarp.org/taxaide or call the site locator at 1-888-227-7669.
Deep Run Park Recreation Center
9910 RIDGEFIELD PKWY
HENRICO, VA 23233-3752
Facility opens at 8:00. First come, first served. We start returns between 9:15 and 9:30. NO RETURNS STARTED AFTER 3:00 pm on weekdays. Closed Monday, Feb 17th SATURDAYS - start Feb 1st. Returns ONLY for first ten (10) clients. All returns (federal & VA state) are e-filed. BRING LAST YEAR'S RETURN.
February 1, 2020 through April 15, 2020
MO: 09:00 AM - 3:00 PM
TU: 09:00 AM - 3:00 PM
WE: 09:00 AM - 3:00 PM
TH: 09:00 AM - 3:00 PM
FR: 09:00 AM - 3:00 PM
SA: 08:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Internal Revenue Service
Individual and business taxpayers will no longer receive paper income tax packages in the mail from the IRS. Some key 1040 forms are available at libraries while supplies last, but due to budget cuts at the IRS printed instructions for tax forms will not be available at libraries this year. You can visit IRS.gov to get tax form instructions and other forms or request tax products be mailed to you.
The IRS has provided a two-page resource guide for taxpayers, including information on filing your tax return, refunds, identity protection, the Affordable Care Act, and more. Check out the IRS Resources & Information document.
Virginia Department of Taxation
Note: The Virginia Department of Taxation will no longer supply libraries with paper copies of Virginia tax forms. You may download forms and instructions from visiting www.tax.virginia.gov. Or you may contact your local Commissioner of the Revenue, Director of Finance or Director of Tax Administration. You can request forms and instructions from the Forms Department by calling (804) 367-8031. You may also wish to try paperless filing, using Free File/E-File. The standard fee of 10¢ per page for printing from the public computers will apply to tax forms at all Henrico County Public libraries.
Henrico County Department of Finance
Federation of Tax Administrators
The Real Estate Advantage (REAP)
Tax exemption for qualified seniors, residents that are 100 percent permanently and totally disabled, and their spouses which relieves real estate tax up to a maximum of $3,000.
- Maximum taxable income is $67,000
- Maximum net worth allowed is $350,000
- Maximum exemption awarded is $3,000
- Filing deadline is April 1st
Health Coverage and Your Federal Income Taxes
How health coverage affects your federal income tax return