Hoopla is a service offered by the Henrico County Public Library that gives you the option to checkout and listen to full music albums and watch movies and TV shows on your computer, smartphone, and tablet. There are thousands of choices and they are all free to you.
What devices work with Hoopla?
- Windows and Mac OS web browsers
- Apple iPads and iPhones
- Android phones
- Kindle Fires
What do I need to use Hoopla?
- Your HCPL Library card
- Internet access
- Your email address
- A free Hoopla account.
Setting up your Hoopla account
- Get the free Hoopla Digital app from your device’s app store and open it, or go to https://www.hoopladigital.com in your computer’s web browser and click Get Started.
- Select the Sign Up Now option.
- Follow the prompts to enter your library card number, a password you choose, select Henrico Public Library as your library, and enter your library card number. You may need to search for "Henrico" in the "Search for your library" box.
- You will use your email address and password to sign in to Hoopla in the future.
Once your account is set up, you can browse the collection for something you’d like to watch or listen to. When you find something you want, select the Borrow button and the title will be checked out to your account.
- Movies and TV shows are checked out for 3 days (72 hours).
- Music albums are checked out for 1 week (7 days).
You can check out 7 titles per month. Titles will be returned automatically at the end of their loan period.
Select Play to begin playing a movie or TV show. Select an album track to begin playing music. Note: The first time you play a movie or TV show in a browser on your computer, you may be prompted to install the Widevine or SilverLight plug-in. Follow the on-screen instructions. You should only have to do this once.
You can pause a title and resume viewing on another device using your Hoopla login information. Hoopla will resume the title where you left off.
Offline viewing and listening (app only)
Most titles have the option to be downloaded to your mobile device for access when Internet is not available. Select the Tap here to download option to download it to your device. This can take some time depending on the length of the title and the speed of your internet connection. Once downloaded, you can play the title as usual.